____ - ____
_William LYNN _______ | _John LYNN , Sr______| | | | |_Margaret PATTON ____ | _James LINN , Sr.____| | (.... - 1776) | | | _____________________ | | | | |_Margaret CAMERON ___| | | | |_____________________ | | |--Alexander LINN | | _____________________ | | | _____________________| | | | | | |_____________________ | | |_Sarah LYNN _________| | | _____________________ | | |_____________________| | |_____________________
John WEST , Sr.
14-DEC-1590 - 1651
_George Trent WEST ___+ | (.... - 1538) _William WEST _________| | (1520 - 1595) m 1551 | | |_Elizabeth MORETON ___+ | (1497 - ....) _Thomas Leighton WEST , Sir._| | (1557 - 1602) m 1571 | | | _Thomas STRANGE ______ | | | | |_Elizabeth STRANGE ____| | (1524 - 1596) m 1551 | | |_Mrs. Thomas STRANGE _ | | |--John WEST , Sr. | (1590 - 1651) | _Robert KNOWLES ______ | | | _Francis Knollys, SIR _| | | (1514 - 1596) | | | |_Katherine PENISTON __ | | |_Anne Knollys KNOWLES _______| (.... - 1608) m 1571 | | _William CARY ________+ | | (1492 - 1528) m 1520 |_Mary Katherine CARY __| (.... - 1568) | |_Mary BOLEYN _________+ (.... - 1543) m 1520
Born between 5 & 6 in the afternoon. Godfathers: Sir John Norrs, Mr. John Foskin; Godmothers: Mrs.Scudamore, Mrs. Ratcliffe.Was appointed Gov of Virginia 28 April 1635 and served two years.
He was educated at Magdalen College, Oxford College, receiving his B. A. degree in 1613. He marriedAnne Percy, daughter of Gov. Geroge Percy of the Colony of Virginia.He came to Virginia about 1617 on the Bonnie Bess" and resided at "West Point," Virginia. He was made a member of the Colonial Council, (see below) where he served 1630-1659. On May 17,1635 the Colonial Council prevailed upon him to accept the office of Governor, when Governor Sir John Harvey was expelled. In 1637 West was commissionedMuster Master General of the colony by King Charles in his own hand. He sold his Bellfield estate in 1650 moved to his West Point estate of over 6000 acres. Most of his acres were granted to him for bringing many new settlers to Virginia in his ships. It was customary at the time for 50 acres to be given for each person brought in, family, relatives, and servants included. Col. West died in 1659.Port Richmond West Plantation was settled by Col. John West about 1655. This was in William County, Virginia, not far from Elsing Green. He was the third West brother to be a Governor of Virginia.THE COLONIAL COUNCILFrom 1607 to 1624 the members of the Council were chosen by the Virginia Company, and during the Royal Government, which succeeded it, were appointed by the Crown on the recommendation of the Governor. As a rule, when a vacancy occurred, the Governor made a temporary appointment, which was usually confirmed by the KingThe councillors were the Governor's advisers in executive matters and patents, which are stated to be issued with their "advice and consent." They constituted the General Court - the supreme court of the Colony - and also had legislative functions as members of the upper house of the Assembly, corresponding somewhat to our senate. The same persons, therefore, held executive, legislative, and judicial offices.Capt. John West was one of the two first commanders of the settlement on York River.West Point was named for him.When decision was reached, 1630, to plant a settlement on the York River, Colonel John West was among the first to patent lands there and by 1632 was established on his plantation, which, soldto Edward Digges, 1650, was then known as the "A.D. Plantation" and later as "Bellefield." From York, John West removed to his plantation at the fork of the York River on the site of the present town of West Point originally called Delaware. Thistract of 3000 acres may be identified in a patent issued to him 6 March 1653, which included 850 acres granted to him, 3 July 1652. In addition, hewas granted 1550 acres, 6 May 1651, about 6 miles up York River up the fort (fork) on the south ofthe River." which he subsequently sold to Major William Lewis, who included the land in his patent for 2600 acres issued, 20 January 1656. On 27 May 1654 West patented 1000 acres in Gloucester County, on the "N.E. side of the Mattapony river."Colonel John West died at his West Point plantation, 1659, and March 1660 the House of Burgesses passed a resolution of good will in recognition of "the many important favors and services rendered to the country of Virginia by the noble family of West, predecessors of Mr. John West, their now only survivor ..... It is ordered that the levies of the said Master West and his family be remitted, and that he be exempt from payment thereof during life."The Honorable John West was the twelfth child of Sir Thomas West, Second Lord De La Warr, andhis wife Lady Anne Knollys.The Honorable John West matriculated at Magdalen College 17 February 1603/9 and received the degree of Bachelor of Arts on the 1st of December 1613. He came to Virginia in 1618 and immediatelyassociated himself with the military life of the colony. After the massacre of 1622 he commanded a company of men against the Indians. Great unrest arose in Virginia in the spring of 1635, and the Council advised that Governor Sir John Harvey return to England, whereupon Colonel John West was elected Governor and Captain General of Virginia and served until 18 January 1636/7, shortly after which he was appointed to the office of Muster MasterGeneral of Virginia by King Charles I of England.Governor/ Captain John West, born December 14, 1590 in Hampshire, England; died 1659 in New Kent Co, VA. He was the son of Thomas West III, Lord Baron De La Warr and Anne Knollys. He married Anne Claiborne Abt. 1639.